Going on vacation should be enjoyable and amazing but in some cases disagreements with your ex partner can lead to arguments and disputes or worst holidays being cancelled. Countrwide Family mediation is best for vacation plans call us today!

Holiday Arrangements For Children when parents cant agree

  • Are you trying to arrange a holiday with your children and having issues with your ex partner?
  • You cant talk to reach a resolution?
  • Not sure what to do next?

Countrywide Family Mediation can help couples work out the issues with a trained, experienced mediator.

During a divorce, it is likely that the last thing the couple or the children themselves are thinking about the holiday arrangements. Then down the line, when everything else has been arranged, it can be frustrating and awkward to try and make a booking that all parties are happy with. As well as this, there are legislation’s in the UK which has been specifically designed to ensure everyone is kept safe and happy.

There are a few mediation methods and laws that can help you if you are having trouble in your area, but there a few main questions you may have regarding this.

If I do not have consent from the other parent, am I still able to take the kids on holiday?

The answer to this question depends on whether you have a CAO, or a Child Arrangement Order. If you have one, then you are able to take the child on holiday for up to one month. If you do not have one of these, then all of the parents will need to consent to the child going on holiday.

Would I be able to take my child away for the entire six weeks holiday?

Even if you do have a CAO in place, unless you have consent from all of the parents you cannot take the child away for the entire six weeks holiday or any length of time that is over one month. With a Child Arrangement Order, the maximum amount of time you can take a child away for is one month. See our FAQs

Family mediation services are more so becoming the norm today in settling disputes. Reasons for this might include maintenance payments and long-term divorce settlements.

What do I need to do if my child is nearly 18?

If your child is 16 or 17, you still need to have a CAO to take them on holiday without the other parent’s consent. The legal age for an adult in the UK is 18, so all laws to do with child custody take this into account.

If the other parent refuses to consent, where does this leave me?

It can feel like there is not a lot of option for you if the other moms and dad totally refuses to grant the vacation. You do have some choices readily available to you however. The first option is naturally to attempt and concern an contract. The best way to do this is to learn why the other parent has such objection to the vacation. See our fees for mediation.

From there, you can perhaps attempt and determine a service. If it is just because of the missed out on contact time, possibly you can work out an plan to make this up when you get back?